Please join us to celebrate our premier session at our new location!
IF YOU WERE MAYOR…
Socratic Conversation with Ron Gross
Monday, May 11, 6:00 – 7:45 pm
Conversations New York (CNY) Team Meeting
8:00 – 9:30 PM
RSVP to GrossAssoc@AOL.com
Adelphi University’s Manhattan Center
75 Varick Street — Room 260-261 on the Second Floor
(75 Varick is between Watts and Grand Streets)
Subways: #1 to Canal, or A, C. or E to Canal, exit next to the building.
J, N, Q, R, W, Z or #6 to Canal, are about 5 blocks southeast at Broadway and Canal.
Bus: M20 stops at the front door.
Note: This Center is state-of-the-art,
and excellent take-out food can be purchased at The Mill (www.TheMilltoGo.com) which is part of the same building,
and brought to the meeting.
- What are your ideas for helping all of us New Yorkers to live together more happily, healthfully, safely, and enjoyably?
- What bugs you about the City, that you think could be improved?
- What do you like about other cities you know, that could make New York better?
- What changes would you like to see in our cultural activities, streets, parks, schools and colleges, healthcare, local businesses, housing, environment, law enforcement, rules, regulations, and priorities for spending public funds?
Let’s advance our ideas for improving our city, in the run-up to the international Ideas City Festival at the New Museum and throughout the Bowery on May 28-30 (www.ideas-city.org). “If You Were Mayor…” is a month-long, city-wide array of conversations which will complement the Idea City Festival’s wondrous offerings of ideas from throughout the world, with ideas from New Yorkers themselves. We’re inspired by Mayor DeBlasio’s words:
‘If you give people a chance to offer their ideas,
you’ll find an extraordinary number of New Yorkers
who have positive, productive ideas.’”
Suggested Readings (optional): If Mayors Ruled the World, by Benjamin Barber; Happy City by Charles Montgomery;Who’s Your City? by Richard Florida; Urban Acupuncture: Celebrating Pinpricks of Change that Enrich City Life, by Jaime Lerner.
Conversations New York (starts at 8:00 PM)
Our exciting Action Agenda will be highlighted by:
- planning for our 2nd Annual CONVERSATION DAY in Bryant Park on Sat., July 18thin collaboration with our trans-Atlantic partner Talk to Me London;
- launching our Conversation-Friendly Restaurants Project to recognize eateries where we can hear each other talk;
- considering a Fall symposium on “Reclaiming Conversation” with Sherry Turkel of MIT;
- impelling new city-wide/month-long gatherings on provocative topics in June and July;
- expanding our website and presence on the Internet; and
- honoring outstanding contributors with our prestigious Plato Awards (“…and this month’s award goes to….”)