Halloween for Thinkers: Let’s Talk Back to Death — by Affirming Life!
with Ron Gross
Thursday, Oct. 30, 4:00 SHARP – 5:15 pm
Teachers College, Columbia University
525 West 120th Street (bet. Broadway and Amsterdam Ave. – 116th St. stop on the #1 train)
Room 305 Russell Hall
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org — space is limited
Please bring photo ID required for entry to building, and plan to arrive by 3:45 to be courteous to fellow participants.
Halloween is a holiday that makes fun of Death. At this Conversation, we’ll be inspired by death-defying mentors from Socrates to Woody Allen. Let’s use wit, thoughtfulness, and conviviality to deal with the Grim Reaper! (Costumes are Welcome but optional.)
Please join us to share your convictions, feelings, and hopes. We’ll be in good company: thousands of Americans are attending Death Cafes, Death Dinners, and Death Salons (featured on the front page of The New York Times). A Showtime documentary series, Time of Death, focuses on “real people face to face with their own mortality.” An acclaimed recent book, The Death Class: A True Story About Life, reports that there’s a 3-year waiting list to enroll in this offering at Kean University in New Jersey; a similar on-line course, by Professor Shelly Kagan, is available from Yale University.
We are learning to talk about death more freely, frankly — and life-affirmingly! Come join the movement to demystify this taboo subject. It can be a significant step in learning how to live.
Among the topics we’ll discuss are:
- Does your awareness of your mortality affect the way you are living your life? Should it? How?
- What is one of your favorite novels, movies, TV shows, plays, musical works, or other art that deals with Death?
- What happens after death? Do you feel that you are still somehow in contact with anyone you have lost?
- Do you feel that you’ve thought enough about mortality, to sort out your ideas and feelings in ways that are satisfying to you?
- Do you have any strong convictions about what you would like to happen at the end of your life? Should we have The Pill?
CNY Members please note: This conversation will be followed at 5:45 by the monthly meeting of the CNY Steering Committee, which you are warmly welcome to join!