and at http://www.meetup.com/Conversations-New-York/events/107701172/
Are you concerned about any of the directions in which America seems to be moving?
- If so, which ones, and why?
- What would you like to see happen in response?
- What values should this nation embody, enact, and promote? Liberty? Democracy? Equality? Justice? Tolerance? Opportunity?
There will be light refreshments and a display of relevant books.
Suggest optional reading: The Idea That Is America, by Anne-Marie Slaughter, Basic Books, 2007
Next session: Thursday, 4/25, Topic:HAPPIER ENDINGS: How Can We Best Handle Exits, Losses, and Farewells — Personal and Professional?
Inspired by Socrates’ famous conversations with his friends in the marketplace of 5th century Athens, we engage in spirited discussions of ideas and issues. Socratic conversations range broadly and probe deeply into the basic challenges of life. They are informed by the latest literature for reference and follow up. While building a sense of community on campus, these meetings enliven the intellectual atmosphere and model dialogue and discussion as modes of inquiry. They are part of a year long series of Socratic Conversations hosted by the Gottesman Libraries.
CONVERSATIONS NEW YORK
Hundreds of New Yorkers coming together in small groups of neighbors and fellow citizens to discuss topics of intensive interest…
Hosted at no cost and at convenient locations and times…
Aided by simple guiding principles…
Inspired by the city’s grand tradition of robust conversation…
Our vision is to inspire, organize, publicize, facilitate and celebrate a renaissance of healthy dialogue in New York City.
How You Can Help Us Grow!
If you would like to easily add to our strength, we’d be grateful for your taking these easy steps:
1. Visit us at https://conversationsnewyork.com/ to learn more about us, subscribe to our website, and spread the word.
2. Share with us your reactions, questions, and suggestions about this venture. email@example.com
3. ”Like” our organization on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ConversationsNewYork and join http://www.meetup.com/Conversations-New-York/
4. Consider convening a Conversation yourself – https://conversationsnewyork.com/resources-for-moderators-2/
5. Tell us about Conversations you think should be listed on our on-line calendar. https://conversationsnewyork.com/calendar-of-conversations/
We hope you’re as excited as we are about promoting and encouraging stimulating conversations in New York City!