MEN: What’s Up? What’s Wrong? What’s Right?!, What NOW?
Wednesday, July 18th, 2018
5:45 – 8:00
Hunter College, 695 Park Avenue,
Entrance at the intersection of Lexington Ave. and 68th St.
Dining Room – Third (3rd)Floor
NOTE: this location is different from our previous 8th floor venue
Govt-issued photo ID required for entrance to building, please.
LET’S TALK, NEW YORK! Join intimate conversations to explore this crucial dimension of our lives and our society, then share our discoveries!
- What do you make of the tsunami of recent news about prominent men who have been revealed to have committed sexual transgressions?
- As a woman, have you experienced misogyny in your professional or personal life (i.e., discrimination, micro-aggressions, or sexual harassment or assault)?
- As a man, have you ever engaged in misogynous behavior, and if so, how do you feel about it at this point in your life?
- Does the overwhelming predominance of young men among perpetrators of mass shootings (97%) suggest the existence of “toxic masculinity”?
- On the other hand, might bad behavior among a sub-class of men, have led to unfair stereotyping of men in general as misogynous? Do you make distinctions between different kinds of harassment, deeming some less serious than others?
- What are the most positive behaviors you have noted in men, in response to our new awareness and activism (“Me Too”, etc.)?
- What are your hopes for the future, regarding mens’ emerging roles in private and public life?
To stimulate your thinking: The Meninist Movemehttps://feminist.com/resources/links/men.htm
Subway Directions: The 6 train stops directly under the College at the 68th Street station. There is an entrance to the College in the Subway station. Turn right upon exiting the turnstile and the entrance will be directly in front of you.
Alternatively: You can take the F train to the East 63rd Street and Lexington Avenue stop. After exiting the station, walk north on Lexington Avenue to East 68th Street. The College is located at the intersection of East 68th Street and Lexington Avenue.
Bus Directions: The crosstown M66 bus goes east on 68th Street, and west on 67th Street. Hunter College is located at the intersection of East 68th Street and Lexington Avenue.The M98, M101, M102, and M103 go south on Lexington Avenue and north on 3rd Avenue. Hunter College is located at the intersection of East 68th Street and Lexington Avenue.
Driving: See detailed directions at: http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/abouthunter/maps/68th-street-main-campus
WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT HUNTER COLLEGE:
- Check in at the Visitor’s Reception Desk to your left was you enter the lobby.
- Take escalators to the 3rd floor (two flights up)
Conversations New York (www.conversationsnewyork.com) is a community of volunteers which has promoted more and better conversations among New Yorkers by such activities as quarterly CONVERSATION DAYS, these monthly Conversations, an on-line calendar featuring 1,000 conversations a year, and the first national symposium on The Power of Conversation, held at Columbia University.
To receive further information about this session and ensuing ones, please send an e-mail to Ron Gross at email@example.com